One afternoon final yr, I used to be minding my very own enterprise, once I one way or the other stumbled upon journal author Hunter Harris’s weekly e-newsletter, Hung Up. For the following hour, I tore via the archives, together with an Olivia Wilde deep dive, a Prime Gun: Maverick evaluate, and arguably one of the best opening paragraph to a e-newsletter. She’s a popular culture genius! So, I used to be thrilled when Hunter agreed to share 12 of her favourite issues…
1. Restaurant: When the gods smile upon me and I get a desk at The 4 Horsemen, it seems like getting away with homicide. However in an attractive, erotic-thriller type of method. They don’t put up the menu on-line (which drives me loopy since I’m at all times the particular person to lookup the menu prematurely), however each single factor is sweet.
2. Exercise: There’s one thing satisfying about taking an extended stroll whereas speaking on the cellphone to somebody you’re keen on.
3. Hair product: Sample is my favourite waxy, thick edge management. It lays these child hairs DOWN, honey; Fort Knox ranges of safety, and with minimal white residue. (For those who use edge management, what I’m speaking about.) I grew up with my mother utilizing previous toothbrushes on my edges, however the accompanying brush actually does make a distinction with this product particularly, since you do want stiff bristles to unfold your swoops.
4. Notecards: I remorse my habits mainly in all places, on a regular basis.
5. House discover: I’m so into my flatware, which I discovered via a reddit gap concerning the flatware in Molly Baz’s cookbook. They’re an incredible mid-weight and are available in numerous colours/finishes.
6. Candle: D.S. & Durga’s Huge Sur After Rain is an ideal, well mannered scent. Not too loud, not too intrusive. Breakfast Leipzig is just a little louder, just a little bossier, with notes of tobacco and leather-based. All I do know is that these candles discovered their method into my residence, and they’re my favourite smells.
7. Film: It adjustments relying on the day, however proper now I can confidently say On line casino. It’s a film about Vegas and the mob, two worlds which can be virtually hermetically sealed with their very own codes and traditions, nevertheless it’s additionally a film about making an attempt to fill the bottomless pit of the self — being forged out of Eden due to your individual gluttony. I like films about male vainness and male insecurity. This one is extra shallow than Goodfellas, however extra glamorous, too.
8. Desk accent: The $7 velcro cable ties on Amazon essentially modified my life. I’ve one million cords for under like six units, and now I can hold all of them neatly in my desk drawer. No extra pulling out a twine solely to get to the tip and notice it’s a usbc as a substitute of micro usb. (Me understanding the distinction… sure I’m a girl in STEM!) Additionally, Play-Doh at my workstation — excellent for fidgeting throughout an extended assembly.
9. Physique wash: Nothing makes me really feel as supported as waking up and taking the most well liked bathe possible. Proper now, I’m utilizing Naturium Glow Getter Multi-Oil Hydrating Physique Wash. It has a mysterious consistency — an oil that one way or the other lathers — and it’s very moisturizing. Doesn’t have a scent, however that’s form of high-quality with me?
10. Resort: I am going to L.A. quite a bit for work — typically months at a time, typically weeks right here and there. The Cara is one of the best resort in Los Angeles. I’m not staying wherever else, when it’s a brief journey. Beautiful interiors, a restaurant price consuming at even if you happen to’re not staying there, and everyone seems to be genuinely good and useful.
11. Snack: Blue cheese and crackers.
12. Celeb crush: The onslaught of Austin Butler in spring 2022 — we can be finding out it for generations. This man tried so arduous to get me to have a crush on him and I noticed Elvis and it labored! Bizarre film however superb efficiency.