Gun violence in the US is an enormous drawback. The statistics are alarming. Yearly, tens of 1000’s of individuals in the US are killed or injured due to weapons (homicides, suicides and mass shootings).
The Facilities for Illness Management (CDC) lists firearms because the main trigger of demise amongst youngsters and adolescents within the US. Current mass shootings in Buffalo, Uvalde, Tulsa and elsewhere have as soon as once more introduced the talk on gun management to the forefront of American politics though the issue has existed for years.
March For Our Lives
March For Our Lives is a student-led motion that’s making an attempt to deal with this drawback. Based after the 14 February 2018 capturing at Marjory Stoneman Douglas Excessive Faculty in Parkland, Florida that left 17 lifeless and 17 injured, March For Our Lives demonstrates and advocates in help of gun management laws.
In 2019, March For Our Lives launched a video of a brief, however highly effective speech to lift consciousness about gun violence and its affect on college students. Lately, the video has been circulating once more on social media. You may watch it under. Following the video, I give my evaluation of what makes it such an amazing speech.
There’s a lot to love about this speech.
- The speaker was launched earlier than coming “on stage” and her experience highlighted. It’s all the time finest to have somebody introduce you, if potential. That means, you don’t need to say something about your self and you may leap proper into the speech.
- The truth that Kayleigh, the speaker, was a younger scholar, was utterly sudden. Being sudden is a robust solution to be memorable.
- Kayleigh’s opening line at 0:30 – “If there was an energetic shooter, you’d all be lifeless.” – grabbed the total consideration of everybody in that room. You need to hook your viewers along with your opening, and Kayleigh did simply that.
- She enunciated her phrases and paused properly.
- Kayleigh made glorious eye contact.
- She had good physique language, particularly demonstrating easy methods to crouch down on the bathroom in case you are within the washroom (1:05).
- Kayleigh used nice vocal selection, particularly from 1:12 to 1:27 with the repetition of “Bang! Bang! Bang!” and at 1:53 when she sang that haunting faculty music about lockdowns.
- “Bang! Bang! Bang!” is an instance of the highly effective rhetorical gadget, epizeuxis.
- Kayleigh used the phrase “you” or “your” 21 occasions when talking in regards to the viewers. She used the phrase “we” 5 occasions when talking about her expertise at college. “You”, “we” and “I” are three key phrases for each speaker.
- Although technically not a part of the speech, the video accommodates a surprising statistic at 1:57 about how 95% of public faculty youngsters follow lockdowns.
- The speech had a transparent message about what to do in case you ever end up in an energetic shooter scenario.
You may see the affect that Kayleigh had by trying on the faces of the folks in her viewers. Let’s hope that her speech, together with the efforts of so many others, helps to result in significant, smart gun management laws in the US.
If you wish to discover out extra about March For Our Lives and the methods in which you’ll be able to assist, you’ll be able to go to their web site or observe them on Twitter, YouTube, Instagram or Fb.
Picture courtesy of March For Our Lives