While you consider Aspen, Colorado, you might consider ritzy resorts and decadent events, or world-class snowboarding. However it’s additionally surrounded by a few of North America’s most lovely wilderness and is a pure basecamp for some unbelievable mountain climbing, biking, fishing, snowboarding, and even paragliding—absolutely anything you are able to do outside. Whereas Aspen is a 4-season vacation spot, there’s tons of issues to do in Aspen in summer time, and under we share our favorites!
Be taught the perfect issues to do in Aspen in summer time together with mountain climbing, biking, tenting & lodging, and restaurant suggestions.
Necessary Reminder: Because it goes in all the locations we share, please apply good path etiquette and keep in mind to Depart No Hint. This implies packing out your entire rubbish (together with rest room paper), being respectful to others on busy trails, and following the established guidelines.
Aspen Summer time Mountaineering
Aspen is nestled within the Roaring Fork Valley which presents a system of trails for each hiker from newbie to skilled. With fields of wildflowers, mountain vistas, and dense forests, mountain climbing is among the finest issues to do in Aspen in the summertime. Listed here are a few of our favourite trails:
West Maroon Cross
This hike begins under the Maroon Bells at Maroon Lake, one of the photographed spots within the nation, and the primary few miles are about as busy as you’d count on. However when you move the picnicking households at Crater Lake, the path turns into infinitely much less crowded. It’s six and a half miles one-way to West Maroon Cross, however you may flip round everytime you like (or you may hold going, descend the opposite aspect of the move, and stroll all the way in which to Crested Butte!). The views are unbeatable the entire manner!
You’ll should drive a number of miles down valley to get to the trailhead, however Triangle Peak is a lesser-known hike that reaps massive rewards in a brief distance. You hike up a jeep street for 2 and a half miles to the summit of Triangle Peak, and from there you might have a view of all the Roaring Fork Valley, the entire Elk Mountain Vary, and nearly all of Aspen-Snowmass’s 4 ski areas.
You may observe the Ute Path all the way in which to the highest of Aspen Mountain. Whereas it’s steep at first, it’s a lot much less busy than the favored street up the face of the ski hill. For those who’re completely exhausted whenever you get to the highest, you may take the gondola again right down to city.
Aspen Summer time Biking
Aspen has biking choices for everyone. From lung-busting street rides to rollercoaster single monitor, and even household cruiser rides – it’s all there and top-of-the-line issues to do in Aspen in the summertime!
A few Aspen street bike classics are Independence Cross, a lung-busting climb to 12,065 toes above sea stage, and Maroon Creek Street, a relatively flat (however in actuality, regular uphill) journey to the enduring Maroon Bells.
For those who’ve received children, or don’t fancy driving with site visitors, cruise down the valley on the Rio Grande Path, a former railroad monitor turned multi-use pathway that stretches 40-plus miles all the way in which to Glenwood Springs alongside the Roaring Fork River. A mid-morning journey to Woody Creek Tavern for lunch is hard to beat; it’s about 10 miles from Aspen, simply lengthy sufficient to earn that burger and brew.
Head up the face of Aspen Mountain on the forest service street and revel in single-track on the way in which down, or take one of many trails throughout city, above the outdated Smuggler Mine. Really feel like getting out of city a bit extra? Close by Snowmass Mountain has extra singletrack, downhill, and enduro driving than your legs might ever deal with. For a dynamite single-track shuttle, take the free bus from Aspen to Snowmass Village, then mix the Rim Path, simply west of Snowmass Village with the model new single monitor of Sky Mountain Park, chopping again to Aspen on the hillsides above Aspen airport.
Aspen Summer time Fishing
There could also be no higher place on earth for fly fishing. The Roaring Fork River, a gold-medal fishing river, flows proper by city. Fifteen minutes down the valley, it’s joined by the Fryingpan River, one other gold-medal river. Fifteen minutes previous there, the Crystal River joins the celebration—one other world-class fly fishing river. You may rent a information to take you to their favourite secret spots, or you may simply seize your rod and head on the market—it’s laborious to go flawed on this space!
Simply ensure you’re not venturing onto non-public property and choose up a Colorado fishing license! You may snag one on-line, from Metropolis Market within the middle of city, or within the fly retailers in Aspen, Basalt, or Carbondale.
Greatest Aspen Eating places
Aspen is a foodie city with tons of connoisseur choices. For those who’re in search of a extra informal spot to seize a go-to meal or a chunk after a protracted day on the paths, listed here are a few of our suggestions:
- Zane’s Tavern: A sports activities bar that’s standard with locals, particularly when the Denver Broncos are enjoying. The meals is typical pub grub, however it’s strong and cheap. And you may’t go flawed with something fried, proper?
- Huge Wrap: It is a cash-only informal joint that serves tacos, wraps, sandwiches, and extra.
- Jour de Fete: the French title may sound fancy, however it is a no-frills deli with nice sandwiches and salads.
- Bangkok Joyful Bowl: Yummy Thai meals you could eat in or take out.
- Woody Creek Tavern: That is the famed hangout spot of the late Hunter S. Thompson. A couple of 20-minute stroll out of city (or 10 minutes by bike), they serve consolation bar meals and have an eclectic environment.
Different Issues To Do In Aspen in Summer time
Have extra time to fill throughout your journey? Listed here are a few of our different favourite summer time actions in Aspen:
- Hike or take the gondola up Aspen Mountain for a free sport of frisbee golf. There’s a disc golf course proper on the prime of the ski space. Discs can be found at 4 Mountain Sports activities to hire or be happy to convey your personal. If you’re in Snowmass, there’s a course on the mountain there as properly.
- Tube or paddleboard by Northstar Nature Protect. The present is light, the water is shallow (and chilly!), and there’s no higher approach to spend a summer time afternoon.
- Go for the coldest swim of your life at The Grottos. These snowmelt-fed swimming pools and waterfalls east of city appear like a scene from an enchanted fairy story, however the water temperature feels extra like a wintry nightmare. For those who resolve to leap in, be ready for the icy water to take your breath away—actually.
- Catch some music: The Aspen Music Festival takes place each summer time, all summer time, and college students will be discovered giving free performances on avenue corners round city. Additionally, take a look at the stay music calendar on the Stomach Up.
Aspen Tenting & Lodging Choices
Aspen is a well-liked summer time vacation spot – you should definitely e-book your tenting or lodging upfront! Listed here are a number of suggestions for campgrounds and resorts:
- Tenting is proscribed in and round Aspen; the closest campsite is Tough Campground eight miles exterior of city towards Independence Cross. You too can camp close to the enduring Maroon Bells at Silver Queen Campground. Each of those replenish shortly, so make reservations upfront if attainable. Try The Dyrt app for extra Aspen tenting suggestions.
- Aspen funds resorts: Mountain Chalet, Tyrolean Lodge, and Annabelle Inn all have nice places with out the value tag of their luxurious neighbors.
- If you wish to step it up a bit of, the Limelight Lodge, Lodge Aspen, and The Gant are all nice locations to remain in the course of the summer time in Aspen.
Have you ever ever visited Aspen? Are we lacking any of the perfect issues to do in Aspen in summer time? Tell us within the feedback under!