San Diego Museum Month was created in 1989 to advertise consciousness of the area’s museums, historic websites, academic establishments, and cultural points of interest. This month-long promotion occurs each February and has grown to turn into a much-anticipated occasion in San Diego County.
This 12 months’s occasion goes to be even higher than ever with a return to an in-person occasion since our San Diego museums are open.
How Museum Month Works
San Diego Museum Month offers patrons an opportunity to find what’s new at greater than 45 San Diego museums, historic websites, gardens, aquariums, and different locations – with financial savings solely seen yearly.
Beginning February 1, individuals can choose up a free San Diego Museum Month Cross that entitles them to half-off admission in any respect taking part museums all through your complete month of February. You don’t must be a resident — anybody can use this go!
Decide up your free go at Macy’s areas within the San Diego space and at over 75 taking part native libraries. These embody:
- San Diego County Library
- San Diego Public Library
- Carlsbad Public Library
- Chula Vista Public Library
- Coronado Public Library
- Escondido Public Library
- Nationwide Metropolis Public Library
- Oceanside Public Library
Friends with a Museum Month go could convey as much as 4 folks to taking part museums to obtain half-off admission for your complete celebration.
There are a couple of restrictions resembling some museums could solely can help you use the go a specific amount of occasions within the month. Extra charges could apply for particular exhibitions at taking part museums.
Macy’s sponsorship additionally supplies funding for a whole bunch of free vouchers for college kids at Title I colleges to take part in Museum Month.
This 12 months’s Collaborating Museums
Your Museum Month low cost go will get you half-price admission at these unbelievable San Diego, CA points of interest.
- Barona Cultural Middle & Museum (Admission is all the time free and go holders can take pleasure in 20% off their museum retailer buy – some exclusions apply – throughout the month of February.)
- Birch Aquarium at Scripps (Discounted Museum Month admissions for Birch Aquarium MUST be reserved on-line upfront for a particular date and time. Go to aquarium.ucsd.edu and use code MuseumMonth22 at checkout.)
- Bonita Museum & Cultural Middle California Middle for the Arts, Escondido Museum
- California Surf Museum
- Comedian-Con Museum
- Coronado Historic Affiliation
- Fleet Science Middle (IMAX not included)
- Gaslamp Museum on the Davis-Horton Home
- Heritage of the Americas Museum
- Institute of Modern Artwork (ICA) Central
- Institute of Modern Artwork (ICA) North
- JA Cooley Museum
- Japanese Friendship Backyard
- Junipero Serra Museum (SOHO) (The Junípero Serra Museum is closed for renovations till late February 2022.)
- La Jolla Historic Society
- Lemon Grove Parsonage Museum
- Residing Coast Discovery Middle
- Maritime Museum of San Diego
- Marston Home Museum and Gardens (SOHO)
- MCRD Command Museum
- Mingei Worldwide Museum
- Miniature Engineering Craftsmanship Museum
- Mission San Luis Rey (Could exclude some particular occasions.)
- Museum of Modern Artwork San Diego, Downtown
- Museum of Making Music
- Museum of Photographic Arts
- New Individuals Museum
- San Diego African American Museum of Positive Arts
- San Diego Historical past Middle
- San Diego Air and House Museum
- San Diego Archaeological Middle
- San Diego Automotive Museum (Kids should be accompanied by an grownup.)
- San Diego Botanic Backyard (Cross could also be used for entrance to the Backyard on sooner or later solely, as chosen by the passholder. As much as 4 folks could also be admitted that day, however nobody could return with the go on a separate day. Doesn’t embody particular occasions. Tickets should be bought in particular person on the day of entry by presenting the go at admissions. On-line ticket gross sales will not be accessible for this low cost).
- San Diego Kids’s Discovery Museum (Passes could solely be used as soon as and excludes particular occasions. Can’t be mixed with different gives.)
- San Diego Chinese language Historic Museum (Reopening quickly – watch their web site/social media for updates, upcoming displays and on-line programing.)
- San Diego Mannequin Railroad Museum
- San Diego Museum of Artwork
- San Diego Pure Historical past Museum (The NAT) (Passes could solely be used as soon as and excludes particular occasions. Can’t be mixed with different gives.)
- Santa Ysabel Normal Retailer (SOHO)
- SOHO’s Adobe Chapel Museum (Closed for renovation – watch their web site/social media for updates, upcoming displays and on-line programing.)
- The New Kids’s Museum
- Tijuana Estuary Customer Middle
- Timken Museum of Artwork (Reopening quickly – watch their web site/social media for updates, upcoming displays and on-line programing.)
- USS Halfway Museum
- Vanguard Tradition (Arts Media Outlet – watch their web site/social media for upcoming displays and on-line programing.)
- Visions Artwork Museum
- Warner-Carrillo Ranch Home (SOHO)
- Ladies’s Museum of California (Museum with out Partitions – watch their web site/social media for upcoming displays and on-line programing).
Study Extra About Museum Month from the San Diego Museum Council
Tune into social media to study extra in regards to the greatest San Diego museums, historic websites, gardens, zoos, aquariums, and cultural choices which is able to undoubtedly embody data and enjoyable actions that you simply won’t already be accustomed to.
Comply with the San Diego Museum Council on these accounts and examine them every day all through February.
Or, comply with the hashtag #SDMuseumMonth. And, then when the time is true, go to a museum that’s new to you.
Enjoyable Truth: In April 2015, San Diego was acknowledged by the Nationwide Geographic Channel documentary, “World’s Sensible Cities: San Diego,” the place the area gained applause for its life-style wealthy in artwork, cultural range, and pure magnificence.
Discover a New-to-You Neighborhood Whereas You’re at It
Why not go to a museum that’s in a neighborhood you don’t get to fairly often. Whereas I’ve highlighted loads of issues to do in San Diego on this web site, San Diego Museum Council has additionally curated enjoyable neighborhood guides for much more inspiration and actions to enrich your museum go to.
Which San Diego museums are you trying ahead to studying extra about throughout San Diego Museum Month?
*Photograph credit: San Diego Air and House Museum/Peter Carney for Balboa Park